Houkabe Shrine Gion Festival in 2023
≪Houkabe Shrine annual festival≫
The shrine is also affectionately called “Gion-san in Tamba” . Because “Gion” is the name of the area
around famous Yasaka Shrine in Kyoto and Houkabe Shrine enshrines the branch spirit of it since the
2nd year of Tentoku Era or 958 CE.
Eight festival floats called “Danjiri” are led from each villages to the shrine and shaken powerfully in the
precinct, also the portable shrine “Mikoshi” are carried around by local men.
Once every three years, a puppet show called ”Dekonobo” is dedicated on two Hikiyama floats.
It was designated as a National Intangible Folk Cultural Property in 2005.
It is very impressive
Venue: Houkabe Shrine
By Train: From JR Sasayamaguchi Station West Exit, take Wing Shinki Bus to ‘Houkabe Mae’. The
venue is a short walk from the bus stop.
By Car: About 30 minutes from Tannan Sasayamaguchi Exit on Maizuru Wakasa Express way.
Event date: Aug. 5&6(1st Saturday and Sunday of August every year)
|3-2, Miyanomae, Tambasasayama City,Hyogo
- Tamba-yaki Pottery
- Village Maruyama, a traditional Japanese style house inn [150-year-old Tamba Sasayama inn]
- Sue No Sato, Tamba Traditional Craft Park in the Tachikui Pottery Town
- Sasayama Castle and Oshoin
- Suggested sightseeing route
- Explore the town of Tamba-yaki pottery (Konda/Tachikui area)
- Ryuzoji Temple
- Hiwa no Kura / Village Maruyama, a traditional Japanese style house inn
- Anma Historical Museum and Samurai House
- Tambasasayama Crafts Map