Ojiyama Pottery Center

The Ojiyama Pottery Center is located on the west side of Ojiyama Park, in the valley to the right of the long stone stairway lined with the red Torii gates of the Inari Shrine. It is about a 10-minute walk from the Kamitatsumachi or the Honsasayama bus stop. The Ojiyama pottery was a feudal kiln to which the feudal lord Tadahiro Aoyama invited the master craftsman Kinkodo Kamesuke from Kyoto to teach. At the height of the Kaei era (1848 to 1855) many elegant and well-crafted works were made here. However, the feudal clans were abolished resulting in the kiln being abandoned in 1869. In 1988, 120 years later, it was reconstructed as the Ojiyama Pottery Center, which has the same name, and it still produces and sells celadon ware, ware decorated in cobalt blue, and ware decorated with red overglazes using the traditional techniques.

 

Basic information

Postal code 〒669-2325
Address 431 Kawaramachi, Tamba Sasayama City, Hyogo Prefecture
Location The pottery center is located in the valley to the right of the long stone stairway where the red Torii gates of the Inari Shrine on the west side of Ojiyama Park are lined up. It is about a 10-minute walk from the Kamitatsumachi or the Honsasayama bus stop.
Phone number +81-79-552-5888
Map View on Google map

 

Popular posts